Wednesday, January 15, 2014

September 2013 - My 'new' Singer 319 sewing machine

Photo: I love my vintage sewing machine!  Fully operational and sews great...over 50 years after it was made.  Thank you Gail Hollis!

I love my vintage sewing machine, Miss Minty 
Fully operational and sews great...over 50 years after it was made. Thank you Gail H!

Since leaving my job as an art teacher (to 300+ kinder-5th graders), to be a stay at home mom to the twins, I have really been needing a practical creative outlet.  I have done all kinds of arts and crafts, but sewing really appealed to me at this point in my life because it is so very useful and I love the idea of dressing the twins in wearable art.  So I was trying to research which sewing machines are good buys, and the reviews of machines within my tiny budget were so discouraging.  It seems that budget sewing machines these days are all plastic-made-in-China crap and will break after a few years of use.  So I started looking into buying a vintage machine, and through a great Facebook group was able to find a beautiful machine that had been  restored for sale in my area.  What a blessing my lovely Minty has been!  The Singer 319w is a very interesting machine, with built in cams that can be activated with a simple flip of the 'type-writer' keys on the top.  It's so fun to play with the different stitches.

2 comments:

  1. I love that this machine is being loved and used... Vintage machines are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree and thank you so very much! I just got the buttonhole attachment and have been experimenting with that these days.

    ReplyDelete