Wednesday, January 15, 2014

December 2013 - First Christmas for Babies (and first pattern testing for me!)


Back in November I had just joined a couple of Facebook groups where the members do most of their sewing from PDF patterns.  I noticed a few designers calling for pattern testers.  I thought it sounded like a fun challenge so I applied and got turned down for a few.  Then a designer posted a tester call with a really short, only 3 day, turn around time.  Most of the usual testers were too busy with holiday sewing, so she took a chance on a newbie...me!  I received the pattern and didn't have time to go to the store, because I have to stay home and care for my babies most of the time.  No worries, I like to improvise!  So I used an old skirt in a sap green color that I adore, and 2 mismatched curtain panels (the gold and lacy fabrics).  No matching thread for me, either!  So I worked and worked to get the dress done on time, took a few photos with my beautiful daughter and submitted my tester form.  I love the dress so much, I knew it was going to be her Christmas dress.  It is just so sweet.  The pattern is from Petite Kids Boutique
http://www.etsy.com/listing/171748877/charlotte-dress-for-girls-12m-10y-pdf?ref=related-3

In mid-December we moved out of state for my husbands new job, and we are now renting a wonderful house in a fairly rural area near the city where he works as an ER nurse.  Unpacking seems like it will never be done, but baby photo shoots commemorating milestones are more of a priority for me!  I needed a coordinating outfit for little buddy boy.  I found a wonderful, free vest pattern online and made it up to match her dress.  It is fully lined with scrap from the white, blue and green plaid that I used for his bear suit back in October.  It turned very cute, even though I struggled with my first buttonholes and they are pretty ugly.  I did some embroidery along the edge to help disguise the uneven buttonholes.  The babies were about 9 months old in this photo, but luckily my big buddy wears the size 18 month...because it is the only size the designer made!  Here is the tutorial and pattern link: http://aplaceinthecloud.blogspot.com/2011/11/boys-best-vest-tutorial-with-pattern.html


Displaying image.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment