Thursday, January 16, 2014

New Year...new pincushion!


We are slowly settling in after our recent big move and I am thinking about all of the sewing projects I want to do.  I just heard a story about someone swallowing pins, so I think its time to curb the habit of holding them in my mouth.  I knew I wanted a wrist pincushion to wear to keep it handy, but not a plain circle, and not one just like everyone else's.  

I decided to do a mini quilt block as the top and found a pattern I liked here: http://wombatquilts.com/2013/04/03/square-in-square-fun-wip-wednesday/  I saved it and shrunk it down to 2 1/2 inches in Word, and printed out a page with six blocks so that I would have a few chances to get it right.  I messed up the order (paper piecing  is kind of tricky) on the first one, but the second block came out fine.  So I added the green strip and a bottom to form my cushion shape.  I also added a square of plastic (from a clean food container in the recycling bin, cut to size) inside the base to keep the pins from going all the way through.  I added a strap from a piece of the waistband of an old pair of brown cords that I have been using as material, and velcro as the closure. Voila!  Less pins in the mouth!

No comments:

Post a Comment