Wednesday, January 15, 2014

November 2013 - First Thanksgiving



I wanted to make coordinating outfits for the babies to wear to the family Thanksgiving with my Grandparents, Aunts & Uncles and Cousins.  I had just purchased my first ever PDF sewing pattern...the designer convinced me with a sale and proceeds to charity.  The pattern is the Bumblebee available at: http://sewingmamaraeanna.blogspot.com/2013/08/bumblebee-dress-pattern-available.html   

I had less than a week until Thanksgiving and no Joann, Hancock or Hobby Lobby within my city at that time.  So I headed to the Goodwill a 1/2 mile from our house and bought a floral red blouse in a lightweight, gauzy cotton and a pair of mens brown fine-waled corduroy slacks.  I cut up the garments and used them, plus a worn out tan pillowcase, as my material.  I carefully used the existing buttoned center panel of the blouse as a focal point on the bodice of her dress.  I created yards of ruffles.  The hardest part was trying to ruffle corduroy for the bodice, but I finally got it to work.  His outfit was such a fast sew compared to her dress!  The overalls are a Simplicity pattern and I added an applique bow-tie so that they would coordinate.  Well, as you can see in the picture they look pretty darn cute...my family members said they looked like everything from Oktoberfest to Renaissance fair to Sound of Music.  Pretty much what I was going for.

Can you spot the oops in her dress? That's right, her bottom ruffle was sewn on backwards!  I didn't have time to fix it until later.  Here it is with the ruffle tacked down:


2 comments:

  1. I can't believe I didn't see your blogpost before now!!! I love these outfits!!! So so so so so cute and perfect fabrics! Good job mama! And the charity is doing awesome! The director just got back yesterday from a trip to the school in Haiti! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heart-of-Worship-Ministries-Inc/187621621342243

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must confess that I didn't start my blog until January even though these outfits were from November. So I haven't really had many visitors to see my sewing work. I am truly honored to have the pattern designer pay me a visit and leave such encouraging feedback! I am really happy to hear that the charity is doing well...I am going to check out your link now!

    ReplyDelete